Friday, May 29, 2009

Nursery/Child's Room




I love the "Show Us Where You Live Friday" that Kelly, over at http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/ started.

All of our bedrooms are located upstairs at our house. Yes, we have OCD tendencies and yes, the rooms are usually cleaned up each time after we play in them. I taught school for 7 years and just can't seem to get away from the over organization thing. Oh well, some OCD is good. Maybe the boys' future wives will appreciate it.


This is the view from our Master bedroom Door. Nash's nursery is on the right and Rome's room is on the left.


This is our nursery. We moved Rome to his big boy room about half way through my pregnancy with Nash. It was a pretty smooth transition but he often reminds us that it was his room first.

We didn't find out if we were having a boy or a girl so I chose to use black and white trimmed with yellow since it could go either way. The walls are a light green color.


This changing table/dresser was my Grandmother's. I painted it black and added new knobs. I just placed the changing mat on top of it and use the red container from Target to hold the diapers. The table on the left also belonged to my Grandmother so I painted it white and keep our other supplies in the container on top.


This chair was made by my Great-Grandfather. It belonged to my mother when she was a little girl. She painted it for the nursery. Nash climbs on it to turn the light on and off.


I love cubbies for organization and just added this set a couple of months ago. I painted them black to match the dresser.


The rocker came from my mother's former classroom. I had it painted white and had the cushions recovered to match the bumper pads and curtains. The swag hanging above the rocker was originally hanging over a large window in our first house.


We moved in this house when our oldest was 18 months. The light fixture was very girly so I removed all the beads and bought shades at Wal-Mart. I covered went with b/w checked material and trimmed in rick-rack.


I love silhouettes! Since I used black and white they matched perfectly. These 3 are above the bed came framed. They were too small to fill up the space so I got larger cheap black frames from Wal-Mart, covered the cardboard back with the same material that I used on the shades, and then hung them.


Here are some more silhouettes that are on the closet door. The silhouette plate that is hanging beside the closet belonged to my best friend's grandmother.


The closet in here is very small so we put in another bar. As you can see, this is also where I store hand-me-down clothes that Nash will grow into.


This room is on the back of our house. It only has one window and it gets morning sun. I covered the window with aluminum foil to make it darker for nap time and leave the blind down all the time.


I had this book shelf made by a local carpenter. It used to have books on it until I put the cubbies in the room. I am not sure what I am going to do with it. Possibly take it out when we add a twin bed. The shelves above are from Target and hold baby bibles, and keepsakes.



This is the Big Boy room at our house. I wanted Rome to have a place to play in his room. I decided that we would be spending a lot of time upstairs after the baby was born. We went with the transportation theme. So, when we were moving him out of the nursery this is what we did.


He has a reading spot (Company Kids pillow), two train tracks, and a cubbie full of toys.


Once again, I am in love with the cubbies. These have books, puzzles, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse toys, a doctor kit, and take-along train tracks. He used to have a red toy box that was my husbands here. It needs some repair work so we moved it to storage.


His headboard was my husbands when he will a little boy. We had it painted red along with all the other furniture. We put his bed up on risers, and no, he never had a rail, and it never occurred to me that he needed one even though his bed is pretty high and he was only 2.


We needed the bed on risers because Santa was going to bring a train table to fit under the bed. This table also has legs that are folded underneath. All we have to do is add some screws and it becomes a regular play table. We kept it downstairs for a while after the Christmas that he got it. He keeps all his wooden trains on here.


I painted this dump truck on a piece of canvas to hang above his bed. I didn't want to paint it on the wall because I wanted to be able to save it.


The bedding and valances came from Target. The curtain rods actually belonged to my brother when he was a little boy. We just cut them to fit these windows and painted them.


The airplanes are metal and came from Hobby Lobby. I just screwed a hook into the ceiling, added twine and hung them.


I painted this train on a ceiling tile. It can also be used as a bulletin board with push pins. It is hanging above his motorized train track. The cubbies used to be here but when he got the motorized track it needed a home.



This is his motorized train track. His motorized train supplies are kept to the left in a plastic red container from Target and his magnetic take-along trains are kept in the case and the white basket.


The dresser came from my parents' house. We got the mirror at Target. I loved that it had hooks on it and also that it had a photo shelf.


The closet is larger than the one in the nursery but it also has an extra bar. As he gets older this will be great for his dress pants.

Hope you enjoyed our tour!!

4 comments:

  1. love the color green on the walls!! very nice rooms! Come on over to see ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rooms and your use of color! The nursery is so classy!

    Mrs. Nurse boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both rooms! :-) I adore green and black together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both rooms are great. I love the black, white and green.

    ReplyDelete